Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Mr. Rogers doesn't know squat.

Forget sweaters and trains and puppets (Someone was smoking something when they thought up that show), a cute dog is all one needs for a decent relationship with neighbors. Before Brinkley moved in, I knew of only Bob and Peggy Sue who share the same entryway cubby thing with me. For a year and half, I would have guessed it was just the three of us living in this huge complex because the place was like a ghost town. I never saw anyone else. Ever. In the month that I've had Brinkley I've realized that there is quite an eclectic mix of people that live in my complex.

Now I don't know names but people are recognizable and have been assigned descriptors until the day that I do learn their names.
  • Tall Freaky Guy is always wearing headphones and leaves for work at 10:00 every night. He always says hi to Brinkley and gives him a pat on the head when he walks past. Tall freaky man returns at about 5:45 in the morning. He always says hi to Brinkley when he walks past and gives him a pat on the head.
  • Old Business Man leaves for work at 7:30 in the morning. He must not like dogs because he never says hi to Brinkely but says hi to me. We have a cordial "Good morning" exchange and he continues on to the parking lot. I then wonder what he thinks about my pajamas. If I had my glasses on maybe I could read his expression.
  • Red Headed Younger Business Man walks a black lab through Brinkley's territory every other morning or so. He's not nice, nor his dog. Maybe if he had a nice dog like Brinkley, he'd be nicer. Or maybe he just doesn't like my pajamas.
  • Spotty Dog Lady is Brinkley's favorite. I know this because every time she says Hi, he pees. She loves Brinkley because he reminds her of the spotted dog from children's books that climbs under fences.
  • Then there's the Smoker. He introduced himself once but I forgot his name. He lives at the opposite end of the building and is always out on his patio smoking. He always calls Brinkley a she and I in a very creepy way, hits on me. I don't much care for him.
  • Springer Man is the nicest because he thinks I'm the Dog Whisperer or something. He walks his springer spaniel by every few days. He's always very impressed at how well behaved Brinkley is and says that I must be really good with him if he acts so well at such a young age.
I'm thinking of dressing Brinkley up and taking him around for trick-or-treating. Maybe he could snag us a few Snickers with his cuteness. Yes, I'm perfectly fine with exploiting my dog for the purpose of chocolate consumption!

2 comments:

Jes said...

My dog likes to show off for other dogs, kids, and just my luck for cute guys... he will take his leash from me and carry it in his mouth. He will prance right beside me as though he is the most well-trained dog in the world, just so he can hear "awww, what a cute dog!" (and of course capture the attention of the cute guy)... as soon as we turn the corner and they are out of sight, he will drop his leash and wander off into the grass.

Your dog sounds great! Have a wonderful week!

Anonymous said...

Somewhere "Smoker Man"'s blog says something about "Baseball Hat Girl" and how he loves her PJ's and his ploys to ask you on a date and live happily ever after. :0)