Friday, June 1, 2007

What day is it?

Ok, it's time for a collective yawn! Yaaawwwnnnn! Is it only Friday? This has been an incredibly long week. At least I can say that it's been a long week that included running!! I even squeezed in some biking, which was a painful experience all on its own. I'll hold that fun for later though.

I ran the same lake route again on Wednesday after work. Thankfully, it was thunderstorm free. It was so much easier the second time around. I dropped two minutes off my time! I'll just pat myself on the back for staying properly hydrated and fed prior to the run. My one recurring thought throughout the run was, "Different song. Different song. Mmmm, Boston creme pie. Different song." Ever since I got lost on the East coast on Monday, I cannot get Boston creme pie off my mind. If I knew how to bake a Boston creme pie, I'd do that. But I don't know how, so the goal for my lovely Friday night is to change the playlist on my .mp3 player! I sure know how to paint the town red.

I've decided that the saying about once you learn how to ride a bicycle, you'll never forget, or however it goes, needs revised. Sure, a person may always know how to ride a bicycle, but a person needs to be reminded of the pain it can cause riding again after a long, long time. I just think the disclaimer tacked on there would be helpful, you know, lower expectations. I had a goal - I'd get to a certain point and see how long it took me to get there. That way I could roughly estimate how long it would take me to ride to work. I figured it'd be a piece of cake, just a nice ride in the park. I was cursing the man who designed the bicycle around mile two! I'm convinced I was riding uphill both ways! The world must have shifted on its axis or something. I'm sucking wind, even some bugs, like no other. My legs were burning, and joggers were passing me... ok, so maybe it wasn't that bad. Runners were passing me! I've gained an entirely new admiration for Lance Armstrong after that adventure. I shall trudge on though.

Last night I watched Freedom Writers. Two worm thumbs up! By far, the best movie I have seen by way of Netflix this year. Pirates 3 was pretty great but that's a whole different category of movie. I like movies that are about inspiring teachers. Maybe that's part of the reason why I was disgusted with History Boys. Yeah, that memory isn't going away any time soon. Anywho, there's something about reading and learning and seeing the "light bulb go off" that is just really cool to watch on screen. It was nice to see history used in a relevant way as well. It always makes me cringe to hear someone say history doesn't matter because it was in the past and it's over. Well, using the Holocaust to teach about hatred during the L.A. riots makes history pretty darn relevant. The acting was excellent too. I'd never seen Hilary Swank in a film before and I was impressed. It kind of grumped me out that Patrick Dempsey's character had to be an ass but the world does have it's very share of meanie heads. Pair this one up with The Ron Clark Story and it would make a very inspiring night. Or at least make you have faith that not every kid from the hood is on a dead end path.

So, another week down. Another busy day off ahead of me. For now, I think I'll pop in my next Netflix movie and veg for a bit. I'm really enjoying this no classes, no homework thing!!

No comments: