Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Montana 1948

Sometimes I go to the library and just wander. I'll walk in with no plan at all and walk out with nothing in my hands. I'll browse. I'll go down every aisle, pick up books, flip through them, and put them back. I'm not one to judge a book by its cover. Picking the next book the read is quite the trial. I have to be in the right mood or I'll have heartedly start a book and never finish it. I went to the library a few weeks ago and found this gem - Montana 1948. It was on the Staff Pick shelf. The cover caught my eye, then the brief synopsis on the back. I started it and could hardly put it down. It was a short, quick read, but very powerful. Small town Montana, a young boy, his father the Sheriff, and an uncle who is caught molesting Indian women. It's a book with an underlying moral to the story that is reminiscent of To Killing A Mockingbird or Summer of the Monkeys. I was so impressed with my Staff Pick that I picked up another at the library today. This one is written by a local author and has Colorado/Wyoming as the landscape!

Also on the list of recent library selections is Unlikely Disciple, Eiffel's Tower, and Tallgrass!

No comments: