Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Unlikely Disciple

Kevin Roose writes an entertaining and informative book in the The Unlikely Disciple. As a student at the uber-liberal Brown University, Roose decides to do an experiment with journalistic motivation. He transfers, for one semester, to Liberty University, the uber-conservative Christian college founded by the infamous Moral Majority leader Jerry Falwell. The book follows Roose through his semester, from telling his Quaker parents about his plan to attending the funeral of Falwell a week after the semester ends. Its an enlightening book and not in the spiritual sense. Roose shows that putting yourself in another's shoes can open up your eyes to your own narrow mindedness. If anything, The Unlikely Disciple provides an insider's look at a unique university, evangelical culture, and Jerry Falwell himself.

In other news... on to another book. My schedule change has been wonderful. I've been taking morning walks with Brinkley Miles and reading. The work day is a little strange. It's more quiet than normal. I've been given the north end of town as my area so I probably won't see as many accidents per day as I would have had I been given the south. I try to keep myself busy by writing parking tickets to college students who don't understand the logistics of angled parking in a residential area.

Even more news... I have sprouts! I planted some basil seeds a week or so ago. And I have sprouts!! They are little and fragile but they are growing with gusto!! I just need to keep from naming them or I won't be making any fresh pesto!!


No comments: