Monday, May 28, 2007

....definitely the road less traveled.

After a weekend of fun with the girls I managed to go running yesterday. It probably wasn't the greatest idea to head out running in the afternoon with only coffee and a turkey sandwich in my stomach. It was incredibly hot. Ok, I know 85 degrees isn't hot, but I don't spend much time outdoors during the daylight hours these days so it was hotter than I expected. Mix the heat with being dehydrated and you get me struggling for most of the three miles. Water is my friend, heat is not. At least I managed to run instead of calling it a day and plopping on the couch.

I got some quality time with my nephew last night. He's growing like a weed. My brother needs to stop watering him or something. It turns out that my brother's neighbors are the parents of a bunch of kids we went to elementary through high school with. So they ended up popping over to say Hi. All of their kids that we went to school with are married and have kids. Now that my brother and his wife are the perfect white picket fence family, I always feel like the freak of the family when it comes to the updating other people on the family going-ons. My parents can brag about their grandson, and even my Idaho brother being a cop now. My story always seems to be the same - single, no kids, still in school, and a few cats shy of becoming the freaky cat woman/old maid.

It's all good though. I'll get there eventually - in a very long, roundabout way. I just wish there wasn't this weird stigma attached to still being in school. My mom always says, "I don't know where you got that gene for liking school so much." Neither do I, but I'm glad I have it because it terrifies the crap out of me to think about where I'd be now if I hadn't gone to UW or decided to go back to school to get my Master's. I just have that feeling I wouldn't be as happy and optimistic as I am now had I taken another path.

Oh, and working all day, by myself, in this huge building, is incredibly boring.

No comments: