Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Pain, Progress, and Peanut Butter

Ouch, ouch, ouch. Everything hurts. Yes, I'm going to whine. After three hard games of volleyball on Monday, I was starting to feel my calves tighten. Then yesterday my abs and arms started hurting. After going for my run/walk yesterday, my calves are really tight. They loosened up when I was running but I'm paying for it now. I have the ouch, ouch, ouch with every step. I realize that pain doesn't always mean progress, but to me, this feels like good pain. This is the kind of pain that will eventually make me run stronger and with less effort, so I'm ok with the ouch, ouch, ouch for now. I'm up to the run five minutes, walk one minute part of my schedule now. I may have to drag this part out over two weeks though because of my trip to spud city. Yesterday I also listened to the .mp3 player for the first time since I started running again. It certainly helped me but I don't want to get dependent on it for motivation. Most races don't allow .mp3 players, so I need to be able to hack it without the music.

I've decided that peanut butter will be my downfall in life. I seriously can't get enough of it. The amount that I consume during the day probably defeats the purpose of eating it for protein and carbs prior to running. And on top of all the real peanut butter consumption, I also eat peanut flavored granola bars, and add peanuts to my salad. I tried to break my addiction by searching for almond butter but I had no luck finding any. I've heard it exists so I'll just have to try some other stores!

Ok, this is a strange thought. Why does Planters, the maker of all the wonderful roasted, toasted, salted, dipped, and other various types of peanuts, almonds, cashews, etc., NOT make peanut butter? or almond butter? or cashew butter? You'd think that would be a market they could really take over.

No comments: